Support is critical to making breastfeeding successful, especially while on active duty. Support group meetings, such as those run by La Leche League or the Mom-2-Mom breastfeeding groups, are invaluable for the information and support they offer. At meetings created specifically for military breastfeeding moms you can talk to other active duty mothers who are going through or have gone through the same things you are and get the low-down on what works and what doesn’t. There is nothing like discussing TAD and shipping milk home, how to fit pumping into a busy day on the flightline, or how to deal with an unsupportive supervisor with another mom who has been there and done that successfully. If you don’t know of any support groups on or near your base or post, consider starting one yourself, you might be surprised at the number of AD breastfeeding women that will show up!!
Active-Duty Breastfeeding Support Groups
Active-Duty Breastfeeding Support Groups are found on many bases worldwide. They offer active-duty mothers the chance to provide breastfeeding support and encouragement to one another while navigating the difficult path of combining motherhood and the military. They may be run by an IBCLC as part of the lactation support services through the local MTF, an IBCLC from the nearby town, or by volunteer AD moms who wanted to start a Group to support one another.
Mom-2-Mom Breastfeeding Support Groups
Mom-2-Mom Breastfeeding Support Groups are part of a volunteer breastfeeding support program that was begun by the Army to encourage new mothers to breastfeed during at least the first two months of a baby’s life. The Mom-2-Mom program uses peer support in the form of volunteers who have breastfed their own baby for at least three months. Volunteers have been given basic breastfeeding training to offer support and information to new breastfeeding mothers. Education is provided by local community lactation consultants, pediatricians, and community health nurses. Mom-2-Mom Breastfeeding Support Groups are found on various Army installations worldwide.
La Leche League International
La Leche League International (LLLI) is probably the most well-known breastfeeding support group in the world. LLLI was founded in 1956 by seven women to provide mother-to-mother support, and it is still offering monthly support group meetings today in locations all across the world. There are Groups on or nearby nearly every major military base in the United States and overseas. LLLI is a breastfeeding support group where you will receive up-to-date breastfeeding information from an Accredited Leader and be able to share your experiences with other breastfeeding mothers. An Accredited Leader is a mother who started out as a La Leche League member and has successfully breastfed for at least nine months and completed a lengthy accreditation process with extensive coursework to become a La Leche League Leader. LLL Leaders are volunteers who provide peer support by facilitating monthly support group meetings and offering breastfeeding counseling via telephone and e-mail support. Some Leaders also offer home visits. One of the nice things about LLLI is that you’ll get a taste of home if you are stationed overseas. Many Groups offer nighttime meetings or specialty meetings for employed mothers, some Groups offer meetings specifically for military mothers. Most Groups also offer a lending library of books, and members receive a bi-monthly e-magazine filled with tips on breastfeeding. A 1-800-LA-LECHE phone call will put you in touch with a Leader if you have a breastfeeding question or concern.
This page offers information and links to Support Groups worldwide that are specifically for breastfeeding mothers serving in the military (Active, Guard, Reserve). This page will be updated regularly, please contact me your info if your group wishes to be included or if there is an update or correction that needs to be made. Also be sure to check out Breastfeeding Support Groups of the Military on Facebook for information and networking!
- Fort Wainwright
- La Leche League meeting the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7pm hosted at the North Haven community center on Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Naval Base San Diego
- Naval Base San Diego: IBCLC led breastfeeding support group meets the 3rd Thursday of the month at 10:30 am in the Blue and Gold Room at the Waterfront RecreationalCenter/Building 3187. Contact CDR Cinda Brown at 619.980.0697 or Sarah Lin at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MCAGCC Twentynine Palms
- La Leche League of Twentynine Palms meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 1745-1845 pm at the Public Library on Adobe Rd. Email address for the group is LLLof29Palms@gmail.com
- NAS Pensacola – TBA
- Ft Gordon
- Fort Gordon Breastfeeding Support Group hosted by ACS New Parent Support Program
Facilitated by Leah Arredondo, CLC WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Group held every third Tuesday of each month from 1300-1500 At the FOC (Family Outreach Center) Behind the library on post.Ft Gordon Breastfeeding Moms on Facebook – Private group open to AD, retired and dependent pregnant & breastfeeding momsWIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors – Breastfeeding Helpline open 24/7 Call 1-800-992-9708
- Fort Gordon Breastfeeding Support Group hosted by ACS New Parent Support Program
- Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, Breastfeeding Support group meets the first Saturday (3pm-430pm) and Third Thursday (530pm-7pm) of every month at the Chapel Annex. The meeting is open to ALL!
- McConnell AFB, Wichita, Kansas.: McConnellAFB Breastfeeding
- We meet on the 2nd and 4th of every month at 6pm. We have a certified breastfeeding Advisor and this group is open to ALL military Members. We also have Free Booby Bags for those who have complications. http://www.facebook.com/groups/224846800898182/
- Fort Knox, Kentucky: La Leche League of Hardin Meade Co at Supermommy’s Superstore in Elizabethtown, the 3rd Wednesday of every month at 10am. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Leche-League-of-Hardin-Meade-Co-KY/110585812324623
- Hanscom AFB: Mom2Mom Hanscom meets every Thursday from 1000-1200 at the Airman and Family Readiness Center. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mom2momhanscom/?ref=bookmarks
- Whiteman AFB: This is a mom-to-mom breastfeeding support group for moms past, present and future at Whiteman AFB. https://www.facebook.com/groups/175766269150456/ We have TWO meetings during the month!
- 1) on the 1st Wednesday of every month at the Airman & Family readiness center Play Zone from 11:30 – 1pm and the
- 2) on the 3rd Thursday of the month @ Northside Christian Church in Warrensburg from 6-7:30pm. In the church nursery.
Children are welcome. Please feel free to come and go as needed.
- Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina: La Leche League of Goldsboro meets at the Family Place every 1st Wednesday from 10 AM until 12 PM.
- Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio: Wright-Patt Nature & Nurture Nursing Support Group.
- Meetings will be the third Tuesday of every month at 7pm. Location is Chapel family life center, room 7, 648 Chapel Lane on “Prairies” area of base. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/380179475362984/
- Breast of Friends Sheppard & Wichita Falls / Sheppard AFB, TX.
- We meet every week, alternating between one afternoon (thursday 4pm) and one morning ( 11 am tuesday). We are open to Formula/Breastfed mothers. The meetings are open to ALL. I am one of three administrators, Sarah Corbitt, and Samantha Heinrich (founder). http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breast-of-Friends-Sheppard-Wichita-falls-Tx/145770888816297
- Ft. Belvoir – LLL of Fort Belvoir in NoVa. Support group meets every 2nd Saturday at 10:00am in Women’s Health of the new hospital. Contact Nikki at 813 785 3554 or LLLFtBelvoir@gmail.com
- Langley AFB – Mother’s Tea and Weigh Day for military moms. For more info email: email: langleyBfmoms@gmail.com
- Joint Base Lewis McChord, Washington (Madigan Army Medical Center): M.O.M.’s (Mother’s Own Milk) Breastfeeding Support Group
- We meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 1PM – 3PM in the Sakakini conference room (3rd floor hospital tower) across from L&D. Tuesdays we have a pediatrician join us and she will do weight checks and talk to moms, answer questions, write prescriptions make referrals when needed. Thursdays we try to focus more on the older breastfeeding babies and have discussion topics, guest speakers and the occassional Holiday party. Lactation Consultants available both days. Facebook: ” MOMs Group Friends” http://www.facebook.com/groups/161436457276393/POC: email@example.com 253-968-2774
- Fairchild AFB, Washington: Mom2Mom Breastfeeding Support Group. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mom2momoffairchild/
- Anderson AFB & Naval Base, Guam: Guam Mommas Breastfeeding SupportFree Breastfeeding Socials meet every Tuesday from 5-6:30pm and every Saturday from 9am-noon in the Education Room at Sagua Mañagu Birthing Center, Per Mar Place, 472 Chalan San Antonio, Tamuning, Guam.
- Kaiserslautern, Germany: Mom2Mom of KMC. Website: www.mom2momkmc.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mom2MomKMC Contact Info: Email: info@mom2momkmc
- Aviano AB, Italy– Aviano Breastfeeding Support Group:
- We meet the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month 10am-12 in Area 1 building 108. This is the second building on the right as you enter the gate. We also have an active duty group that meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month @ Spaghetti House 1730-1830 . The POC for the active duty group is Samantha Mathis you can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact us at AvianoBFSG@yahoo.com or visit our FB page http://www.facebook.com/AvianoBFSG
- RAF Lakenheath: Meals on Heels Mom-led Breastfeeding support group
- Meets 2nd and 4th Friday of the month, 1100-1300 at RAFL Health and Wellness Center. All moms and children welcome!! Also starting up an evening meeting; join the Facebook group for date/time/location. Group is led by a board of directors who are all moms; meetings are facilitated by moms trained in lactation support through various organizations. For more information and to connect with almost 600 Breastfeeding moms, join the Facebook group www.facebook.com/groups/mealsonheels Group is open to any Breastfeeding mom, not just those in the UK!